Friday, August 22, 2014

Pineapple Popsicles

Do you ever end up with strange ingredients in your house and you aren't exactly sure what to do with them. This sometimes happens at my house. We ended up with the chopped frozen pineapple and two cans of frozen concentrated pineapple juice. It has been in the back of the freezer for longer than I care to say. 



My kids think that Popsicles essentially grow on trees, or at least they self-replicate in the freezer while we all sleep and there is a never ending supply. I know that they can be cheap to buy and you can get a lot of pressure from you kids to have them. But try and resist if you can, they are essentially just sugar and coloring and with no nutritional value at all. Not really something you would want to eat, let alone feed the growing little bodies of your kids. 

If you are feeling brave enough to experiment, you can practically freeze any smoothie that you can make. I am not quite as adventurous as some people in my house when it comes to tossing things in the blender and enjoying what comes out. But I felt pretty safe mixing pineapple fruit and pineapple juice. They reminded me of those "whole fruit" frozen juice bars that cost a fortune and look so darn good in the commercials.  


I made the juice first and then tossed it in the blender with the chunks of fruit. I didn't add any sugar or honey, or yogurt or milk, (or ice), but I think it would have been amazing with coconut milk added to it. 



We ended up with quite a bit of mixture. So we filled the plastic molds and then did our little trick that we did with the strawberry ice pops and used paper cups and wooden sticks. Just pop them into the freeze and then after about an hour, poke the sticks into the mostly frozen pops. WaaLaa!


 Big frozen-treat smiles all around!