Monday, September 8, 2014

Fresh Salsa is Heaven



I don't think my love of homemade salsa is a secret. I love to make it in the blender with canned tomatoes and chilies. I think it tastes absolutely so delicious and I like being able to make it as spicy or mild or garlicky (or cilantro-y) as I like. 



But there are few things I look forward to in the summer as much as I look forward to fresh garden tomatoes.  I would venture to say Nothing, NOTHING inspires home gardeners more than the quest to grow amazing tomatoes. I consider myself a super cheer-leader for this quest and very qualified taste-tester of all garden grown tomatoes.  Here is a little bit of free life advice - make friends with people who garden - they always grow more than they can eat! 

My dad has a gardening friend that like to share with him and gave him a bag of the biggest, juiciest, most ripe tomatoes I have seen all year. They were practically splitting with ripeness and  flavor. My parents had a busy week planned and so I got the tomatoes passed on to me. Am I the luckiest girl on the planet, or what?!  (It really helps to put the word out on the street that your door is open to all food offerings). 



So here at our house, we set out for a late night salsa making expedition.  Making fresh salsa at home, really just involves a lot of chopping. I suggest putting on some music, and getting a helper or two and just making a night of it. If this is your first time, all you need to remember is that good ingredients make for Great dishes. Food $ense has some amazing information available on helping to pick out the freshest and best tasting ingredients. 

Here is the information on Cilantro. And included with it is the blueprint that I use for all my fresh salsa. 


Here is the one for Jalapenos.  (remember to cut them wearing your gloves or wash your hands super super good after cutting them.!)



And two more: One for Limes and one for Tomatoes



So now, get out there! Get your chopping buddy and Get some fresh ingredients and get making and eating that fresh salsa.  Do you need some fresh ideas on what to eat it on - 

1. Hummus
2. Pizza (as a topping or condiment)
3. Fish 
4. Lettuce leaves (like a boat, or on a salad)
5. Eggs 
6. Meatloaf (in it or on it)
7. Potatoes: baked, mashed, roasted, hash 
8. Hot dogs 
9. Steak 
10. Noodles (cold or hot: angel hair, ramen) 
11. Soup (chicken, tortilla, corn chowder)
12. Cream Cheese (heated and mixed in) 
13. Grains (rice, farro, quinoa) 
14. Pancakes (instead of syrup or mixed in the batter)
15. Corn bread (just mix it in the batter)