Monday, September 22, 2014

Mexican Corn Salad - Elote



Corn has quickly become our most favorite vegetable around here. It is probably the novelty of being able to eat it off the cob since that never happens in the winter, fall or spring time. It is a pure summer luxury. 

I even still have helpers that don't run from the kitchen when I ask for help husking the corn! 


But after we had it the other day, I was left with a few ears of corn that didn't get eaten. I was pretty excited about this, because I have been wanting to try a twist on Mexican Street Corn.  I have heard lots of talk about how delicious and special it is. With the tang of the cheese, and the zip of them lime mixed with the spice of the jalapeno and chili powder. 


This had all the makings of a recipe that I needed to be making asap. Plus, I'll be honest with you, as much as I love the taste of fresh corn, I have been getting pretty darned tired of flossing it out of my teeth!





Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups corn (about 4 ears), cut from the cob
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 glove garlic, grated
2 green onions, sliced
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juice
2 tablespoons cotija (or feta), crumbled
chili powder to taste



Directions
Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until charred, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes.
Add the jalapeno, saute for a minute and remove from heat.
Mix everything and serve warm or at room temperature.

Option: Adding one diced avocado is so amazing!