Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Pumpkin Apple Soup - Create a Soup




You wouldn't know it when you eat this delicious soup, but it is made with just pantry staples. I was wildly excited when I found the recipe because instead of cooking a squash and apples and then having to make the soup, this is made with canned pumpkin and applesauce.

My husband was late coming home from work the other night. I fed the kids at dinner time and waited to eat with Joseph when he got home. But we mis-communicated with each other and when he got home it was much later than expected and he and I were both starving which put me in a rush to get dinner on the table. 

This soup came together in less time than it took for him to change his clothes, say "hi" to the kids, and get settled. I left the heavy cream out (because honestly, I just forgot) and it was amazing without it! (and much better for you too!)




Ingredients

Serves: Makes 6 (1-cup) servings.

3 tablespoons butter

1 cup finely chopped onion

2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice

1 teaspoon Ginger, Ground

1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin

1 cup chunky applesauce

3 1/2 cups chicken broth

3/4 cup heavy cream




Directions

Melt butter in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in pumpkin pie spice and ginger.

Stir in pumpkin, applesauce and broth until well blended and smooth. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. 

(If a smoother soup is desired, place mixture in batches in blender container; cover and blend until smooth.) 

Stir in cream. Heat gently before serving, if necessary.


Like I said, I didn't add the cream and it was still fantastic. I'll be honest (again), I added some more spice too! I plan on making it again and adding some curry and red pepper flakes (Spicy!!) And I really want to try and see if I can make a pasta sauce from it. 


Packed with vitamins and with a few staple ingredients this could be a new go-to meal. In fact, we have karate tonight and that means I get home late, this might just be on the menu.