Monday, April 27, 2015

10 - Grain Yogurt Quick Bread


Have you explored the Food $ense website? 

There is a lot of information there. I would tell you it would get you a couple of days to get through it, but actually it is much more helpful as a site that you can return to and return to. 

There is a recipe of the week. It is seasonal and relevant and if you are someone who likes to try new things this can be something that you might be interested in. 


They have the Food $ense lessons that you can take online. (You can even print yourself a little certificate)

But the thing that I return to the most are the Creates reference hand-outs. They are part of the Cooking Basics section.  And not only are they a get resource to get your self started cooking, but they are wonderful for people we are ready to be more adventurous and ready to explore their kitchen and try new things.



I have a complete love affair with quick breads. They whip up so fast, and you can fill them with fruits and veggies and other good things. 

They are wonderful for breakfast, snacks and if when you feel like you need to, you can even call them a dessert!  Who doesn't love that? 


I found some really really cool flour - it is a 10 Grain flour. As soon as I saw it I wanted to try it. I honestly couldn't wait to get home and get into it. 

I didn't want to make something that would mask the flavor of the grains - so I made this quick bread. I made of loaf of banana bread at the same time - and they both were devoured at the same rate - That is really saying something! I, or course, didn't call it 10 Grain Yogurt bread when I was describing it to my family - I just said "bread" to prevent any bias against really really healthy food. 


You can make this with regular flour - or just make it with wheat flour - the recipe works either way, but if you have an opportunity to pick up a really unique whole grain flour - this is an excellent recipe to try.

Here is the shortcut for the Food $ense Create a Quick Bread. 



10 Grain Yogurt Bread

Ingredients: 

3 cups 10 Grain Flour (or flour of your choice - but this IS the flavor of the bread)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 brown sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups yogurt (plain)




Directions: 

In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and brown sugar (Basically your dry ingredients)

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add the oil. Fold in the yogurt thoroughly.

Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. Try not to over mix it.

Turn the batter into a 9x5 loaf pan and bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a toothpick put in the center comes out clean.



The hardest part is going to be letting it cool for a few minutes before you slice it and eat it.