Monday, June 29, 2015

Easy Pico


Back when I was just learning to cook and eat right and exploring the kitchen, I thought that things had to be complicated or fancy (with expensive ingredients) to be "Good".  Now that I am more knowledgeable about food and lots more comfortable in my kitchen, I am realizing that good food actually comes from simple ingredients and letting them letting them be fresh and delicious and themselves.

We are heading into the absolutely best time of the year, Growing Season!! The farmer's markets are open, the gardens are producing, the fruit on the trees is ripening and produce is at its absolute best!


This Pico de Gallo is about as easy as they come and with fresh tomatoes and bright cilantro the flavors are out of this world. Pico de Gallo is just Salsa Fresca - or just uncooked salsa.



The thing that makes this SO darn easy is that you use grape tomatoes (the really tiny ones).

Just split them in half and you are done!  I  know it isn't hard to chop tomatoes, but this literally takes about 2 minutes from start to finish.

Ingredients:
Halved grape tomatoes (I used a whole container, but you could use just enough for yourself)
Diced Onion (depending on your onion-loving-ness - use purple or yellow - enough to your taste *We like it here*)
Cilantro (I put the little ones in charge of ripping the leaves off the stems, but you can just chop it up and use the stems and all)
Salt to taste
&
Enough lime juice to choke a horse. ( if you can, use fresh limes - it is Worth it!!) *for a whole container of tomatoes, I use 2 whole limes*

Directions:
Slice
Chop
Pluck
Squeeze
YUM!!!