Friday, June 26, 2015

Huevos Rancheros - create an omelet


I have grown a real affection for Mexican food. Perhaps it is because I am married to a man completely in love (like wild mad crazy love) of all Mexican food. He could eat salsa on everything for every single meal of the day - probably even cold cereal. So when he suggested at our usual Breakfast for Dinner night that we make Huevos Rancheros, I was all for it, but I confess, I had to google them to see what they were. 


I think that dishes that are considered Comfort Food in different cultures are really interesting. They are usually really simple and inexpensive to make - they are usually hearty and filling and don't take a lot of skill to prepare. All of those things are very "comforting" to me. 

When I discovered how easy these were to make, and the way my family went just crazy for them, I resolved to make them quite a bit and put them into our regular Sunday night rotation. 


Ingredients
4 6- to 8-inch soft corn tortillas
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, diced; or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 cup mild salsa
4 large eggs, fried to your liking... Hard.. over medium, soft.. (my husband makes an over medium egg that has me just dying!)
2/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 ripe avocado, sliced


Directions
Heat oven to 425° F.
Put the tortillas on a baking sheet and place in the oven to warm, about 5 minutes. (Cover with foil if you don’t like crisp tortillas.)




Toast the cumin in a small, dry saucepan over medium heat until aromatic, about 3 minutes.

Add the beans and chipotle or red pepper (if using).

Remove the tortillas from the oven.

Spoon some beans onto each, then top each with some salsa, 1 fried egg, and some cheese.

Bake until the cheese has melted. Serve with the avocado.


Keep in mind that this isn't a "hard dish", keep it simple - tortillas, salsa, egg and beans.  Then build from there, if you have avocado use it, if you have cheese you can use that. But enjoy the simplicity of delicious ingredients served in a simple way. - Enjoy.