Thursday, August 6, 2015

Choosing to Make Healthy Choices or Not

One of the things that is most important to me nowadays is making informed food choices. I am making conscious choices to eat healthier, to feed my family healthier and to teach them sound nutrition. But I still make not-great food choices, but that is what they are: not-great food choices, and I know it.

I am sure you have all heard the saying, "Moderation in all things". I think that is good to keep in mind. As an official disclaimer, I am not suggesting moderation is ALL things - like crack cocaine or drinking out of the toilet. But try to live a well rounded life - even nutritionally, perhaps especially nutritionally.

Make the best food choices that you are able to, take steady steps forward and only take baby steps backwards.

Own the choices that you make - don't make excuses like, " I can't afford to eat better" or "I just don't have the time to prepare healthy meals".  I still end up with more nights that I am comfortable telling you where dinner is not even started / or planned, I am stressed our, exhausted and I want Joseph to pick up a pizza on his way home - or just tell the kids it is cereal for dinner night. But I realize that is a series of choices that I made.  I chose not to meal plan, I chose not to prepare, I am choosing not to make dinner - those are My Choices. Sometimes it is really hard to be accountable.

But the first step is Knowing you need to make changes, and the second step is Wanting to make those changes. Support is available, Help is available, Knowledge is available, Motivation is available.

Food $ense is what got me started.

You can contact them online or at your Local Extension.

They teach My Plate, there is more information, as well as tips and ideas to Live IT located here.