Friday, August 14, 2015

Peppers and Corn


We went on an extended family trip a week ago and each family took turns cooking meals for the entire group. It was really fun see what the other families decided to make - having dinner with other families is always such an adventure. 

My cousin and his wife brought some meat that they had smoked themselves - it was fantastic, but Joseph and I went crazy-insane for this corn she made. I knew the second that I ate it that I was going to try and recreate it at home. It reminded me of the Elote corn or Mexican street corn that everyone likes so much. 


She made hers with canned corn, I recreated it with canned corn, but you can use frozen or fresh if you have it. 

Ingredients:

Approx 2 cups corn kernels (1 bag of frozen, thawed - 1 can) 
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 Anaheim peppers, chopped
1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup Feta cheese or Queso Fresca




Directions:

In a saute pan, combine corn, peppers, onion and butter.

Cook until peppers are crisp-tender (5-7 minutes), and corn is heated through.

Stir in yogurt, cumin, salt and ground pepper. Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Sprinkle the top with the cheese.