Monday, February 15, 2016

Breakfast Crunch Wraps


I was talking to my sister Kandis the other day and she was telling me that she makes these in advance for her and her boyfriend - They eat them before work or take them camping, or heat them up on early mornings when they are going duck hunting. 

I asked her a bunch of questions about how she made them and stored them and reheated them. I have been wanting to make them, but I wasn't sure how to go about it - and I didn't feel like I had the special kitchen equipment to make them successfully. 


She just makes them on her griddle (she said I could put them in a George Foreman grill or into a panini press.) She wraps them in foil and puts them in the toaster oven at work, in the campfire coals (when camping) or unwraps them and reheats them on her griddle. I had the kids microwaving them, they lost most of their "crunch", but feeding 16 & 17 yr olds at 6am is a lot less about gourmet and a lot more about speed and ease. 


I made a huge batch of these on Saturday morning. They were really easy to put together and if you had older kids they could help out. They really are a ton of work for just a regular breakfast, but they are great for the freezer and something to make ahead of time. 

I scrambled up 18 eggs and added to that a pound of ground breakfast sausage that I had browned and drained. 

I browned up a huge bag or frozen hash browns - I cooked them until they were more on the crispy side, since I knew I was going to be adding them to ingredients that had more moisture in them. 

Then I had a big tall stack of burrito size tortillas. And some shredded cheddar cheese. 

Kandis says that she mixes together equal parts salsa and sour cream and adds that to hers, but the second I start adding condiments - somebody doesn't like it. So I made mine plain. 


To assemble them, I added about 1/4 cup of hash browns to the center of the tortilla and spread it out into a space about the size of my palm. 

Then I added to the top of that 1/4 cup of the scrambled egg and sausage mixture. 

Then I added a generous sprinkling of shredded cheese to make it nice and gooey. 

If you want, add your salsa or any sauces now before you fold it up. 



You just fold the edges over, like a star. For some reason, this part was really confusing and intimidating for me.  But once I did the first one, it was really easy and I felt silly for not making these sooner. 

I sprayed my griddle with non-stick cooking spray, and placed the crunch wrap (fold side down) on the griddle.  I then sprayed the top-side so that when I flipped it, it would get nice and crispy. 



I made as many as I had filling for. It was almost 20 when all was said and done. 



I wrapped mine individually in plastic wrap. Then I put them all into a freezer bag. 

I think that how you wrap them up, depends on how you are planning on reheating them. Remember aluminum foil doesn't go in the microwave and you can't put plastic wrap in a toaster oven. 

Also, none of the ones that I made ended up in the freezer, so if you are planning on freezing them, you'll need to put them in a freezer bag or wrap them extra tightly.