Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Pecan and Brussels Sprouts Salad


I made this for a family party - prepared to test it on my unsuspecting family members. I was so awesomely surprised when my brother told me that this is a pretty famous dish with his wife's family. 

I was so curious about how she made it with her family. (They use shredded brussels sprouts). She said she liked it better with the half sprouts because it tasted more like a Brussels Sprout Salad and less like a type of coleslaw. (She doesn't like coleslaw). But next time I make it, I am going to try and use the shredded one. 

(The recipe Actually called for Brussels Sprouts that have been shredded, and I was pretty excited to buy them in the bag that way because I saw them at the grocery store, but when I sent Joseph shopping they were all out of them and so he got me ones that had been halved. )



Ingredients

2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, very thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese




Instructions:

Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl.

Place Brussels sprouts and pecans in a large bowl; toss to combine.

Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Sprinkle with blue cheese.



I guess my brother is going to be eating this at every family gathering he goes to - on both sides!