Monday, March 6, 2017

Super Simple Pad Thai


In my mission to eat all the comfort food in the entire world - I present to you, the easiest recipe for Pad Thai ever. 

I can totally vouch for this recipe. It is delicious. It loses a little bit of authenticity, BUT way makes up for it in ease. 

I have been trying to find a Pad Thai recipe that would work for me. Nearly all of them call for Fish Sauce, and frankly, I can't stand the stuff.  I am sure every "real" recipe for Pad Thai has it in it, but I can't eat anything that I put it in. Then the stuff sits in my fridge and just goes bad. Fish Paste gone bad is not something you want to experience. That makes this recipe Perfect for me.  




 Ingredients:

8 ounces pad thai or lo mein noodles ( I use my favorite spaghetti, you could use fettucine to get the flat shape, but frankly, I like to have this be a pantry staple dish and strange noodles just don't work for me.)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 1 medium lime)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes ( feel free to leave this out completely if you don't want it spicy)

3 green onions, sliced
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped, unsalted peanuts


Instructions:

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the noodles and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain the noodles and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until tender.

Whisk the eggs lightly with a fork. Pour them into the skillet and cook just until they solidify, but are still moist, moving the eggs around the skillet slightly as they cook so that they lightly scramble. When the eggs are cooked, remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.

In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Pour the sauce into the skillet with the scrambled eggs. Add the noodles and toss to coat in the sauce.

Sprinkle the green onions, cilantro, and peanuts over the noodles. Toss lightly to combine.