Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Pancake Chicken Nuggets


Sometimes I don't know where these things I decide to cook come from. I was perhaps going to make homemade chicken nuggets, or maybe I was just browsing the web for strange recipes. I don't know. The last two times I have gotten frozen chicken out of the freezer, I have gotten way too much and ended up with chicken in baggies in the fridge that was on a use-it-now timeline. 

So basically, I don't know how we got here to pancake chicken nuggets, but now that we are here... I was hailed as a hero when I made these. My family, from Joseph right on down are serious maple syrup lovers. They put it on everything from scrambled eggs to ice cream. 

This is a little bit of a variation of chicken and waffles, and a little bit a variation of making your own nuggets at home, but without all the double layers of dipping in eggs and then dipping in bread crumbs. I have getting the big gooey Frankenstein fingers. 


Ingredients:

3 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
2 TB Salt
2 TB Pepper
2 cups Bisquick ( I used my homemade pancake mix - Recipe Here)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
vegetable oil for frying ( I saved mine and used it as an excuse to make donuts later)
maple syrup for dipping


Instructions:

Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.

In a large bowl, combine the Bisquick with the salt and pepper then add the milk, and eggs.

Transfer the chicken into the Bisquick bowl and mix to thoroughly coat. Place in the fridge while you heat the oil for frying.

For Stovetop Deep Frying:

Fill a high walled pot or dutch oven with enough oil to submerge the chicken, and heat the oil over medium high heat (About 365 degrees, which you can test with a candy thermometer). 

You can also test the temperature by adding a single piece of battered chicken, and adjust the temperature accordingly depending on how that piece cooks.

 ** I fried one test piece all by itself for the first try and then I used my meat thermometer to check the temp (165) and then when I made the rest of the chicken I tried for that exact same color. 

Add the remaining chicken delicately into the oil and fry until golden brown, and use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.

Serve with maple syrup for dipping, or drizzle it right onto the chicken & serve!