Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Chewy Coconut Trail Mix


I love mixes that start with cereals. I think there is a huge opportunity here to get some healthy stuff in your family without them realizing it. 


This original recipe used to get delivered to my family growing up and it was a coveted Christmas treat. My sister loves it more than anything. When I started making it, I found out it was a great way to pack a lot of whole grains into a mix that my kids loved eating. 

Read your labels and buy the best cereals that you can. Whole wheat does not mean whole grain, so double check your ingredients.

 

You can also add lots more nuts, dried fruit or really bulk up the bran cereal and cut the caramel glaze in half. There is a ton of room for making this recipe your own. 


Ingredients:

6 1/2 cups Rice Chex ( I use a mix of chex here, because I had it - and the bran chex are my favorite thing in the world)
4 1/2 cups Golden Grahams
1 cup sliced almonds ( you can also use any nuts that you would like, I really like almonds, so I used them)
2 cups unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract


 

Instructions : 

In a VERY large bowl combine cereals, almonds, and coconut. Set aside. You combine them first because it is best to have your dry ingredients well incorporated before you start to make them all chewy together.

In a large saucepan, combine butter, Karo syrup, and sugar.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extract.

While the mixture is still hot, pour over the cereal mixture and stir well so the caramel mixture coats the cereal.

Then spread it out on a lined cookie sheet, or a sheet pan with a silicone liner, Let cool.

Serve in a large bowl or divide into individual portions.