Friday, July 28, 2017

Fresh Cherry Salsa


This cherry salsa is great to eat all by itself with some tortilla chips (or just with a fork, no judgement), but it would be delicious on some grilled pork or fish. 

But like I said, it is amazing all on its own.  Eating salsa with a fork it totally a thing you guys. 


But I'll be honest with you, pitting the cherries isn't my favorite. I bought a cherry pitter last year, and it is one the best  one-use-only kitchen tools that I have.  I really don't like having kitchen tools around that only do one job - like those ridiculous apple slicers, but a cherry pitter is totally worth it to me. 

And I get my kids to do it for me. Sure... half the cherries get eaten in the process, but what could be better than that.  We have access to a lot of cherries with friends that have trees and having so many of them grown locally, it is worth buying one for us.  If you only get cherries rarely, you may want to consider if you have room or the money for it. 


Ingredients:

1 cup pitted fresh cherries
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers
2 tablespoons chopped purple onion
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon salt


Directions:

Chop cherries in food processor or manually.
Combine all ingredients; mix well.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour.