Thursday, July 13, 2017

Mustard Coleslaw


I seem to be on a bit of a coleslaw kick lately. That's because I can use it so many ways. 

Maybe you think of it as just a BBQ side dish, but it can do so much more. I love to use it as a topper for hamburgers, I really love it on any type for BBQ sandwich like pulled pork. And I have recently been using it as an addition to my green salads. I think it packs an amazing crunch, and I love the vinegar and sweet combination that comes with that crunch.  If you haven't tried coleslaw in different ways, I highly recommend it. 



When I made this recipe, I made a few changes.  I almost always use bagged coleslaw.  I have a crazy love for the broccoli slaw, but I just used the coleslaw mix here. It saves me a bunch of prep-time and some days that is worth it to me. 

I also didn't add any sugar. I know that almost all coleslaw recipes have a bit of sugar to cut the acidity of the vinegar, but Joseph has been trying to eat food with no added sugar at all, and we thought we'd give it a go.  Although it did taste different, it wasn't bad, and I think the mustard adds so much that you can totally get away with it. 


Ingredients

7 cups finely shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head)  (I used the bagged coleslaw)
1 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion 
1 cup grated carrot 
1/4 cup white wine vinegar  (you can use rice wine vinegar if you don't have it, plain white vinegar will give it a much stronger taste, but you can use that as well. I wouldn't buy a special vinegar just for this. )
2 tablespoons sugar 
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard 
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise 
1/8 teaspoon salt 
1/8 teaspoon black pepper 
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper


Directions
Combine cabbage, onion, and 1 cup carrot in a large bowl. 

Combine white wine vinegar, sugar, mustard, mayonnaise, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. 

Add the mustard mixture to cabbage mixture, and toss well to coat. 

Cover and chill for 20 minutes. Stir before serving.