Friday, July 21, 2017

Spicy Chipotle Kale Chips


These Kale Chips have been so fun to make. My older boys love the spicy flavor and the kick. When I make them, they appear from the basement and start asking what smells so good. 

If you are wondering if you can introduce Kale to your family, making these chips is a great way to do it. A bonus for me, is that the spicy flavor masks a bit of the bitterness that Kale can have. 


I have learned a couple tips in making Kale chips. 

First make sure the leaves are really really dry. Once I got it out of my head that Kale didn't need to be handled gently like some greens - we got a long much better. Once they are washed really well, go ahead and try them really well while I am removing the stems. 

I make sure I am making the pieces "chip" size. These can be very crumbly, you can't really "take a bite" of one, you just put the whole thing your mouth, so you need to make them mouth size. 


 Once I get all the leaves washed, dried and in a big bowl, I add the olive oil.  I don't add any spices yet.  I start with adding about half the oil the recipe calls for and then I start massaging it into the leaves. 

*How does one "Massage" kale you ask --  Grab, Scrunch, Release - Grab, Scrunch, Release. 

I almost always can get away with adding less oil than I think I need, and that means a lighter chip that is less greasy. 

Then I add my spices and give it one more toss. I don't season on the sheet pans, I think it doesn't coat them evenly. 



Ingredients:

1 bunch of kale, washed and dried really well
2 tsp of olive oil
¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
½ tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Prepare the kale by removing the stem from each kale leaf. Rip the leaves into small pieces.

Place in a large bowl, toss with olive oil, chili pepper, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.

Massage the leaves very well for about 1 minute or until all the leaves are coated.

Spread kale on two baking sheets, but make sure they are in one single layer to avoid the leaves steaming rather than baking.

Remove from the oven after fifteen minutes or until they are crispy and crunchy.