Monday, October 9, 2017

Black Bean Dip


We recently had a big TV watching weekend. You might be having them too with all the football on TV or the baseball playoffs, or Star Wars marathons. - Who knows? 

Ours happened to be church services, but it is lots more wonderful than it might sound, and we always have fantastic food. I usually buy our twice a year bag of fritos and some bean dip and it is gone before I blink.


But last week I thought, that's it, I am not paying another 4.00$ for chemicals and oil, I am going to make my own. And I can tell you, I am never going back - and we are now going to be having bean dip a whole heck of a lot more than twice a year... more like twice a week!


I wasn't sure if my little household blender without the fancy name could handle it, but it did amazing!  The high setting wasn't doing a thing, but I accidentally hit the lowest setting instead of OFF and it started to blend perfectly. I could't believe it. 

So grab yourself a bag of chips and a few cans of beans from the pantry and get blending!


Ingredients

2 cups canned low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed, save 1/2 cup of the liquid)
1 tablespoon vinegar
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin (if you like)
1 tablespoon onion (chopped)


Directions

Place the drained black beans, vinegar, and chili powder in a blender; if using cumin, add that too.

Blend until smooth.  Add some of the bean liquid to make the dip easy to spread.

Top with the onion; place in refrigerator for about an hour to chill.