Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce


I love a good pasta sauce. Having a quick pasta for dinner can save my night, but I often like to change it up, sometimes tomato sauce can get a little bit tired. - and although my kids love it, I am not a huge fan of Alfredo sauce.


I do love sauces that are based with squash though. we bought a jar many years ago from Costco because I thought it sounded so strange. I was really nervous to try it, but I just loved it. Of course, it was a seasonal item and they have never had it back, so I started making my own. 

It makes the most creamy decadent sauce and my kids have no idea they are getting super high nutritional squash. You can make squash sauces with fresh pumpkin, acorn, butternut and I even use canned pumpkin sometimes.  This recipe is nice and cheesy, but I didn't call it Mac and Cheese - for fear of a blue box revolt! - I love it seasoned with sage or curry or Mmmm bacon. There are a million ways to experiment with it. 


Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 apple, peeled and chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup Italian cheese blend (Parmesan, Asiago, and Romano)
salt and ground black pepper to taste



Directions:

Place the squash into a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Simmer the squash until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain excess water. Cooked squash should equal 2 cups.

Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, and cook the onion, garlic, and apple, stirring frequently, until softened and brown, about 15 minutes. 

Add butternut squash and chicken broth, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat just to a simmer, and stir in the milk and cheese blend. 

Stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce has reached desired thickness, 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.

Top your favorite pasta and enjoy!