Monday, February 12, 2018

Danish Aebleskivers


My grandma used to make these for us when we would sleep over at her house. I thought they were the fanciest food in the whole wide world.  My oldest son had a casual school dance and asked my mother to host him and his friends and make Aebleskivers for them for dinner. (she did! because that's what Grandma's do)


And while the pan is a bit odd, they really aren't anything more than a different kind of a pancake. My kids think it is the best day in the whole when we have these for breakfast or brunch. 

I am including the recipe, but I want to challenge you to be adventurous and try other foods that are out there. I don't consider myself to be very brave when it comes to food, so pancakes are a good start for me.  I can try lots of different types of pancakes. Proffertjes are a Dutch pancake, they're made with yeast and buckwheat flour and made in a round pan, just like these. My kids go crazy for them... buckwheat pancakes! 


It is just different ways of adding flour, water, eggs and bit of leavening (soda, yeast) and seeing what you get! Try making oven German pancakes, or Dutch babies in a cast iron skillet. 

Of Course, you don't have to make them just for breakfast, having a breakfast for dinner night is a great way to have an easy meal plan night, eat a meatless meal and keep things stress free.