Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Whole Grain Chocolate Waffles


When I whipped these up on Sunday morning everybody thought I was making dessert for breakfast. But the truth is, these couldn't have been more simple or better for us. 

Since I added cocoa powder to my waffles, I was able to boost the flour to 100% whole grain instead of the 50/50 blend that I normally use with all-purpose flour. (Because the cocoa made the waffles a nice chocolate brown and that totally hides the whole grain color from my family. (mostly the teens!)


I sliced up the last of the berries that I had in the fridge and the ones that I had to cut up because one side had gone a little "mushy" got put into a sauce pan and cooked down to make a delicious syrup - who's only ingredient was mashed up berries. 
 

You could serve these with sliced bananas, or other fresh fruits. You could even serve them as dessert waffles and not tell a soul they were eating something really good for them. 

They did turn out a little Cake-y for the waffle purist in our family, but when I heated one up the next day in the toaster over it was crispy on the outside and perfect on the inside....  I might just say these are Better the next day. But I'll need to make a few more batches and do lots more chocolate waffle research.