Thursday, February 21, 2013

Menu Planning (on a bike)

I really like the idea of menu planning. I like everything it promises; my food budget will go farther, there is less stress at mealtimes because there are no last minute decisions about what to eat; or surprises because critical ingredients aren't missing. I also am drawn to the neatly printed colorful forms that really organized moms print out and use. I like the decorative menu displays that you see on Pinterest like adorable kitchen chalkboards painted onto pantry doors and the words "Meat Loaf" written with curly fonts and surrounded by cute doodles. I have even had a small success or two in my previous attempts.


But I have come to the conclusion that this is going to be a bit like learning to ride a bike while watching a youtube video of someone else riding a bike. I am just going to have to get on my own bike and learn to ride it. I think I have realized that I am not going to be a menu planning maven on my first attempt, probably not even after my first 100 attempts, I don't have that type of personality. But the benefits of menu planning are very real and it is an essential first step to our new lifestyle.

Here is where I started :  Food $ense.

There is also some good information here at My Plate Sample Menus

But the truth is, all of this information is still just that. I have to eventually do some action myself.