Monday, July 7, 2014

Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce

I absolutely LOVE enchiladas, red or green or creamy, I love them anyway you make them. But I have been searching for a basic red enchilada sauce that I really love. I have been having hard time finding one. Some are too spicy (I have some not spicy loving kids), some taste too "canned" and some just haven't tasted good at all. So the search has been on. 

Making my own Pizza Sauce was such a wild success, that I decided to try and find a recipe to make my own enchilada sauce.  When I started looking at recipes I was surprised to find out that enchilada sauce is a broth based sauce instead of a tomato based sauce. I was shocked! How long have I been eating this and not know it doesn't have tomatoes in it?

I am so happy with how this turned out, it was quick and easy and I will be making my own red enchilada sauce from now on. 


Ingredients
2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
2 Tbsp. all-purpose or gluten-free flour
4 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. oregano
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock



Method

Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir together over the heat for one minute. 

Stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder through oregano). Then gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until thick.


 Use immediately or refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.


Stay tuned for a fabulous enchilada recipe that we make using this homemade red sauce!