Friday, September 11, 2015

Whole Grain Cinnamon Chips - Crustos!


A long (long) time ago when I was a teenager, I worked in a fast food taco joint. I love it! I know that working in fast food has a real reputation for being the worst job ever, but I really did love it. 

We would make all kinds of weird stuff with the ingredients that we had on hand - that is when I began eating all re-fried beans with ketchup and sour cream. - sounds repulsive and yet, is wildly delicious!

While I worked there, they introduced a "healthy" burrito - it came with a new whole wheat tortilla.  Looking back, I am pretty sure it was not a speck better for you than the regular tortillas, but also considering the amount of sour cream we put on that thing - the fact that it contained sunflower seeds didn't make it healthy. 

The restaurant made these cinnamon sugar chips they called "Crustos".  They served them will all orders over 10$, for free on your birthday - and they were made with the tortilla scrap ends that were left after they made the rolled burritos. We loved them. 

One night, somebody got a bright idea to cut up some wheat tortillas and fry them up. Holy Cow! It was another teen chef success. They were so much better than the other ones, they were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside because the WW tortilla was denser than the white one. 

** this is getting really lengthy - Sorry, please hand in there ** 



My brother made "Crustos" for our big family cabin get-away. His wife made a strawberry salsa that we ate on everything for the next few days.

I bought some Whole Grain wraps the other day, they did not go over big with the kids - they didn't mind the green spinach ones, but I'll be honest - the whole grain ones were a little bit "strong".

So... Waste Not, Want Not!  I decided to try and make some Crustos for taco night!


I put the whole pile of tortillas on the cutting board and cut them into triangles. 

Then I used cooking spray and sprayed the top pieces and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on them. - I May have had a lot of help at this point... and my shaker-assistant was a "bit" heavy handed. 


Then you put them onto a baking sheet, either lined with a silicone mat or a piece of parchment paper. 

Spray the other side and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. 

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes, take the tray out -- ( This is where I put in my second tray for its first round of 8 minutes) Flip each of the triangle pieces over and then cook for another 8-10 minutes. 


They'll be done when you start to notice a slight golden-browning. You really don't want to let them cook too long - Err on the side of under-done.

They were really very good. Even my most hesitate of Whole Grain eaters gobbled these up.  I didn't have any fruit salsa, so they ended up being dipped in yogurt or just eaten plain. I kept them covered tightly and they lasted on the counter for the few days until they were gone.

Maybe if you ask me, I just might make a batch for you on your Birthday!