Saturday, March 5, 2016

Creamy Spinach Pasta


For the last month we have been so sick at our house. Laundry piling up, dishes filled both the sinks and the counter tops. I have a period of three days that I barely even remember I was running such a fever. It has not been pleasant, and every single one of us has gotten it. 

It is really hard taking care of sick people, I know you all know that. It is also nearly impossible to take care of sick people when you are sick yourself. 

This post so far, probably isn't wanting you to make this recipe very much or making you feel very hungry. 


And so the story goes......   Joseph and I were both at home sick. We had the little ones who were miserable sick and the bigger guys were off to school.  It was lunch time and we were both a little hungry, but we knew we needed to eat. We knew we needed to feed the littles and frankly, the better quality of food we could get into us was going to be a great advantage in helping us to feel better. 


I cooked some pasta quickly, because I knew that the little kids really like pasta - no matter what day it is. And I knew that we had some spinach in the fridge that Joseph was going to use for smoothies after the gym, but he had been too sick to go, so the spinach hadn't been getting used. 

So I cooked the pasta, I wilted the spinach in some cooked garlic and then tossed in 1/2 a bottle of alfredo sauce and added the pasta.  It was wonderful!  It was really - Really, so so sooooo good wonderful. 


Ingredients:

1 box pasta - and shape : cooked al dente
1 tsp olive oil
1 TB crushed or minced garlic
3 or 4 large handfuls of spinach 
1/2 jar of prepared Alfredo sauce
Feta or Parmesan cheese as a garnish

Directions:

Cook pasta according to box directions, Drain and set aside. 

Add the olive oil to a large skillet  (because you'll be adding everything to this at the end) and add the garlic. You want to cook the garlic a little bit, so that it doesn't have a raw garlic taste, this only takes 2 or 3 minutes. 

Then add your handfuls of spinach. Give them 30 seconds or so to start to wilt and then gently begin to toss / stir them, so that greens that were on top can get to the heat on the bottom and start to wilt. 

You can cook your greens as much as you like. I like my just past crunchy, but not soft. I like them to turn a bright bright green and then I take them off before they turn darker again. (it is kinda the same level of done ness that I like broccoli to be at) 

Then I added the 1/2 bottle of Alfredo sauce.  And stirred it together with the spinach and garlic. Just as it was coming together, I added all the pasta - that was still hot. 


That's IT!

One of the most brilliant pasta dishes I have ever thrown together and I did it while I was at death's door. 

I think that this would be really amazing with some Kale and you could experiment with the cheese you garnish with and the amount of garlic that you use. 

I am going to put this onto our regular meal planning schedule. It is a great way to eat spinach - which is amazing for you - kid friendly (adult friendly)! 


It even felt fancy enough that it might be something you would order at one of those Italian Pasta restaurants with the famous salad dressings.