Monday, January 2, 2017

11 Winter Soups to Keep You and Your Budget Cozy

I love soups. I miss them during the warmer months and I love every second that I am making (and eating) them during the fall, winter and spring.

Something that I love about soups is that it can take as long or as little amount of time as you have.  You can toss your ingredients in the slow cooker and have your soup simmering all day long, or you can open a few cans, stir the ingredients around in a pot and have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.

If I have a lot of time during the day, maybe I will make fresh bread or rolls. If I am in a rush, I sometimes have Joseph pick up a loaf of french bread for 99 cents at the grocery store on the way home.

Soup makes - Amazing! leftovers, take it for lunch, or warm it up again and have a half a sandwich the next night for dinner.

Here are some of my favorite soups that will keep you full and toasty all winter long, and as a bonus, they are all as easy on the budget as they are to throw together.

Roasted Pepper Chicken Chili Soup

You can make this with any type of fresh pepper - Anaheim and pablano are my favorites.  This is a very rich brothy soup, so it is very nourishing. You can make it super spicy to clear up a cold or keep you extra warm.  Here is the Link (as well as above)

Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup in the Crock Pot

To get the creaminess you put the soup in the blender (broccoli and all) It was so strange to make for the first time, but I trusted the process and it turned about amazing. It is not one of my kids' very favorite soups. You won't regret making this one. Here is the Link.

Lasagna Soup 

I love this easy twist on the traditional Lasagna. Let's all be honest, although lasgana is super delicious and we all love it, it is really a lot of work. This soup give you all the flavor and absolutely none of the work. It is one of the blog's most popular posts and you'll be happy to have it in your recipe book. Here is the Link. 

Chicken Noodle Soup with Ginger and Root Vegetables

I always feel like some kind of culinary genius when I make this soup. The flavors are familiar and yet the ginger makes them perfectly different. Not to mention that if you are making chicken noodle soup because someone is sick, ginger is a great health booster. This recipe is next level chicken noodle soup. Here is the Link.

Potato Soup 

This potato soup recipe is a great one to add to your skills.  You can always make a potato soup fancier if you have the ingredients, but it is delicious and complete on its own.  Potatoes are a great winter food and you can pick up a bag of them for just a few dollars. Here in the Link.

Green Chili Enchilada Soup

This soup is one of my family's most favorites. I can toss it together in almost no time, and by the time it has heated up, I will have my boys wandering around the kitchen asking when it will be ready. I can also guarantee that the leftovers will get eaten up, and no wasting is always always a great idea for the budget. Here is the Link. 

Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup

Although this soup has a kinda fancy name, it is basically leftover stew.  I hope that doesn't turn your off of making it, but a little bit of chicken, a little bit of ham and you have a fancy soup.  My kids love the flavor combination of this and it is different that what we have a lot of times.  Here is the Link. 

Tortellini Soup

When you make this, you can use boxed or fresh tortellini. It makes it lots different than the pasta that you are used to using. I always am able to cram lots of veggies into it - I especially love using zucchini or summer squash. Plus if you have some frozen from the summer, you won't even notice that it has been in the freezer for a few months. Here is the Link. 

Irish Beef Stew

Beef stew has got to be on of the kings of comfort food. This one is a simple recipe with just potatoes and carrots. You don't have to use a ton of beef to make it, and when I want it to go a little further, I will serve the stew over mashed potatoes as gravy.  Here is the Link. 

French Onion Soup

You can make this in the crock pot and then broil your cheese on your bread separately in the oven.
Here is the Link. 

Pantry Noodle Soup

This recipe uses canned chicken and big egg noodles. It has carrots and celery from the back of the fridge but everything else is from the pantry. You can keep the ingredients for it on hand and use as one of your menu planning Go-To recipes. The simple chicken and noodles with familiar vegetables is always a comfort around our house. Here is the Link.