Monday, February 13, 2017

Hoisin Stir Fry Rice Bowls with Peanut Sauce



Wait! Before you say, "Kerry! not another Bowl!"  Here me out....  



 Having rice bowls as a meal option is the greatest thing since slice bread and I'll tell you why I think so.  Because the bulk of your meal can be rice and beans! You can use brown rice, or quinoa or any other fancy grains that you feel like making - or just rice.  I can use ANY toppings that I have handy and I can use more expensive ingredients, because I am using much much less of them. I can even incorporate cook once, eat twice and have two completely different meals.  Or cook a big batch of rice on Saturday and then just assemble different bowls all week long.  Plus "Bowls" are so trendy right now, my family feels like I am cooking something super fancy and not just trying to push beans and rice on them.


For this recipe, I used some leftover Lop Meat that I made and put in the freezer. I love cooking it and then dividing it up into smaller servings for super quick meals later.  The Lop recipe calls for 1lb of Pork and 1lb of turkey, so I usually split that into 4 meals.  You could also use my lettuce wrap filling if you wanted it to have lots more veggies. It would be fantastic! 


Ingredients:

Spicy Peanut Sauce
¼ cup peanut butter 
1 Tbsp sriracha 
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp hot water 

Meat Mixture
½ Tbsp cooking oil
2 cloves garlic 
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
½ lb. ground pork, chicken, or turkey 
⅓ cup hoisin sauce 
1 Tbsp soy sauce 
1 tsp toasted sesame oil 

Bowl Ingredients
4 cups cooked rice
¼ cup peanuts, chopped 
2-3 green onions, sliced 
1 cup cole slaw mix



Instructions:

Mix the spicy peanut sauce first, that way the flavors have time to blend. -- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, sriracha, soy sauce, brown sugar, and grated fresh ginger. Stir in one tablespoon of hot water at a time until the sauce is thin enough to drizzle. Set the sauce aside.

Mince the garlic and grate another teaspoon of fresh ginger. Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet over medium flame. Add the garlic and ginger to the hot skillet and sauté for about one minute, or just until the garlic is softened. Add the pork and continue to sauté until the pork is cooked through and crumbled (about five minutes). Then add the hoisin sauce, toasted sesame oil, and soy sauce to the skillet. Stir and cook until everything is coated in sauce and heated through.

To build the bowls, start with one cup cooked rice, then add the meat mixture. Sprinkle a few sliced green onions on top, then drizzle the spicy peanut sauce over everything. Finish with the chopped peanuts.