Monday, June 19, 2017

Chewy Orange Granola Bars


I love making my own granola bars at home. They are so much easier than you might think and you can complete control of what ingredients go into them. No fillers, less sugar than the manufactured kind and you can make them exactly how you like them. 



For example, I really don't like walnuts, so I used slivered almonds (that I didn't have enough of, so I chopped up some cashews that I did have)

I also can cut the bars into larger sizes for my husband and the older boys and into much smaller ones for my 3 and 5 yr olds. 


If you are hesitant to try this recipe because it seems a bit different. I had never had orange granola bars either. Give it a try, they are amazing. Everyone who has tried them has asked for the recipe. 

Next time I make them, I am going to add dried cranberries, since orange and cranberry is such a classic combination.  


Ingredients:
4 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 cup flaked coconut
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup orange marmalade

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350° F.

In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, salt, walnuts, and flaked coconut.

Stir melted butter and orange marmalade into dry ingredients; mix thoroughly.

Spread oats mixture into greased half-sheet pan.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.

Let cool for a few minutes, then cut into bars.  Store in airtight container. I wrap mine individually in plastic wrap and them put them into a large plastic zip bag and put them in the fridge.