Monday, February 19, 2018

Tilapia with Tomatoes and Capers in the Oven or the Instant Pot



I hardly ever cook fish. First of all because I don't really like it and second, because I have no idea how to cook it.  It is a new experience for me. Joseph really really loves fish and he has asked that we have it more. The USDA recommends eating 8 oz. of fish a week. 


This recipe involves cooking the fish inside a foil packet that you make, That means that the fish stays nice and moist and all the flavors steam right it. It is a really great recipe for a newbie to figure out how to cook fish in a pretty safe can't-mess-it-up kind of way. 


Mix your tomatoes, capers, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil into a bowl. I used this cook spoon that I have as a measurement tool and put one spoon of the mixture into each packet of fish. 


This is the trickiest part of the whole recipe - Fold up the edges of your foil and pour your mixture right into the center - then fold up the sides and roll them, then fold up the edges. 

My packets weren't going to make it onto the front page of pinterest for packet dinner origami, but I was pretty impressed with myself for not spilling out the juices. 


 Then after they were done cooking, I took a small knife and cut a huge slit in the side, peeled back the edges and slid the whole contents of the packet onto plate with cooked rice. 

I put the fish / sauce right on top of the rice so all the yummy cooking juices would flavor the rice. It was a hit for the fish lovers in my family.