Friday, September 25, 2015

Spiced Zucchini Whoopie Pies



Oh be Still, My Heart!


I made these for my dad, he is trying to eat much better and cut out processed food and chemicals and that has meant that he had to give up his beloved - Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies. 

He has missed them. So I really wanted to try and see if I could make a spiced cookie with marshmallow pie that I could feel good about feeding my family. 



These turned out even better than I could have hoped. The cookie was so delicious to eat a a bunch of them "plain" without the middle. I even gave the baby a few plain cookies and he devoured them. 

But the passed the most important test of all, my Dad loved them. 


Ingredients:

Cookies:
½ cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten fluffy
1 teaspoon vanilla
1½ cups zucchini, finely grated
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups flour


Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1¾ cups powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla


Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a mixing bowl combine butter, sugar, brown sugar. Then add in beaten eggs and vanilla. 

Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and flour. Mix until all blended together. 

Then fold in grated zucchini.

Drop batter onto cookie sheet in about the size of a 1¼ inch cookie dough ball. These cookies tend to grow during cooking.

Bake for about 11 minutes.

Remove from cookie sheet onto a wire rack and cool completely.



Then mix all of the frosting ingredients together until smooth and frost one cookie. Add another one on top to make a whoopie pie sandwich cookie.