Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Easy Summer Tomato and Cucumber Salad


When summer rolls around I wait with so much excitement for my first taste of farm fresh tomatoes. I won't say Home Grown, because I don't grown my own, but I sure scoop the up at the farmers' market and the local farm stands. I even have been known to sneak them from my mother in law's garden. 


Growing up, it was a favorite of our family to slice up fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and put them on a plate, salt and pepper then and then put a big old glob of mayonnaise.  (You Guys! I can barely type that I am craving it so bad!) 


This recipe is much healthier than that, using olive oil instead of mayonnaise as the fat.  - it tastes so good because the fat balances out the acidity of the vinegar. 

And instead of all that salt, you can use fresh or dried herbs. 


Fresh ingredients, prepared simply are some of my favorite things to eat in the world. This recipe is absolutely one of those, it takes 5 minutes or less of slicing and 1 minute to make the dressing. You'll be making this for summer bbqs, dinner on hot nights and lunch during the week. (because the flavors get better each day - if it lasts that long)


Ingredients:

Dressing:
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp salt
Freshly cracked pepper

Salad:
4 Roma tomatoes (or two medium tomatoes) (or 2 cups of grape tomatoes cut in halves)
1 medium cucumber
½ small red onion 


Instructions:

Whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper in a bowl, or combine them in a jar and shake until mixed. Set the dressing aside to allow the flavors to blend.

Cut the tomatoes in half,  slice the cucumber, and red onion. I slice the red onion really thin, so that the vinegar will "cook" the onion and make it not quite as strong. - I also leave the slices long so that people (kids) can pick them out. 

Place them in a large bowl.

Pour the dressing over the sliced vegetables and toss to coat. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to eat.